Saturday, October 13, 2012

Island Choice Restaurant is way up there


I came across Island Choice Restaurant over the summer and instantly knew that this was a place I had to return to.  Island Choice Restaurant in Harlem has mouth-watering Caribbean food that often gets passed up over higher-end restaurants. Don’t pass up on the opportunity. Trust me.  When you walk in aromas of curry chicken, ox-tail and cooked cabbage smack you in the face in the best way possible (yes, it IS possible to get smacked in a good way).


With huge windows overlooking Adam Clayton Boulevard, you get a free show with every meal. Fortunately, I was able to experience an entertaining show and even witnessed a motorcyclist ride his dirt bike right into the bodega across the street like it was the norm. Additionally, I was able to see a live performance by a little girl singing Rihanna’s “Please Don’t Stop the Music.” By the time I walked out I had a funny story to tell my friends and a memory that will stay with me until the next time.

Looking at the menu there were so many great combinations of platters I could choose from. After examining the menu a great deal, I went with the pepper steak, mac n’ cheese and rice. What a great choice it was. 
The steak was tender enough to cut with a plastic fork, which made eating easy and allowed me to shovel the food in my mouth just a tad bit quicker. Thin strips of red pepper and onions were intertwined within the steak forcing you to enjoy every component with each bite. 
Don’t even get me started with the mac n’ cheese. It tastes better then my mom’s version of homemade mac n’ cheese (also known as Velveeta packages). Having Island Choice’s homemade version of this was a great way to enjoy the classic kids meal that I never had. It was simple and right to the point. The rice was seasoned with curry and had a plentiful supply of red beans that brought it life. With so much on my plate I couldn’t even finish it all. I was able to bring the excess food home and was able to relive the good times once again.


The price for my medium sized dish and a Snapple came out to $11.50.
Their prices range from fifty-cent dumplings to fourteen-dollar curry shrimp dinners.
Hey, if you ask me that’s pretty reasonable.
Come on in craving excellent Caribbean food and walk out stuffed with a second meal for later.

The exact location:
On the corner of Adam Clayton Blvd. and W119th Street.
New York, NY 10026

Hours:
Monday-Saturday 6:30a.m- 11 p.m
Sunday- 6:30 a.m- 9 p.m

Contact:

212-866-3136

No comments:

Post a Comment